[Fedora-directory-users] Focus of this mailinglist?

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Thu Jun 2 18:04:18 UTC 2005

Patrick von der Hagen wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm very, very to read about fedora (and Redhat) ldap server. It is
>> just great and I interpret it as a sign, that Redhat (and probably
>> fedora) are to support central identity-management (and hopefully
>> configuration-management) using LDAP. That's something I've been
>> missing for quite some time.....
>>
>> However, personally I'm more interested in USING LDAP than in
>> developing a LDAP-server. Wouldn't dare to touch it's code. ;-)
>>
>> So I'm someone to ask questions like "how can I make fedora to query
>> LDAP for printers which the given computer might use and push this
>> information to cups" or "can I store in LDAP that a certain group of
>> computers (running fedora-linux) should only allor lgoins from 8 a.m.
>> to 8 p.m. but should deny login during the night" etc.
>>
>> Asking such questions on openldap-mailinglists would not be desired....

This is one of the things which has really turned me off about the OL
project.

They are rather anal about the mention of any other LDAP software on the
OpenLDAP list. I, for one, hope that the administrators of this list
will not create that type of atmosphere here. For example, if somebody
wants to ask how the replication mechanism works in OL compared to
fedora-ds, then I'm happy to answer those type of questions.

--
mike