[Fedora-directory-users] Automatically incrementing uidNumber

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jun 6 22:14:32 UTC 2005

Jeff Falgout wrote:

>Rich Megginson said:
>

>>Jeff Falgout wrote:
>>

>>>Greetings -
>>>
>>>I've been moving right along with the new release of fedora-ds on rhel4
>>>using the downloaded 7.1 rpm. I hoping that I just missed this, but is
>>>there a way to automatically increment the uidNumber for posix accounts -
>>>so when a new posix user gets created, the next uidNumber get's assigned
>>>to the new user? I accomplished this with phpLdapAdmin and openldap -
>>>phpLdapAdmin had function that would search for the highest uidNumber and
>>>increment it by 1 and populate the uidNumber attribute. If this doesn't
>>>exist yet, is there any chance of making that a feature request - either
>>>that or a uidNumber pool which keeps track of the last uidNumber used.
>>>

>>This sounds like a function of phpLdapAdmin, not the LDAP server.  I
>>haven't used phpLdapAdmin, but if it works with Fedora DS, then you
>>should be able to use that feature as well.
>>

>Any chance of making this a function of the console? I'd rather use the
>console - as it does almost everything needed and then some.

Ok, I see.  Sure.  I would love to get a list of features of other LDAP
administration tools that are not supported by the Fedora DS console.
1) Support auto-increment of uidNumber (other attributes?  gidNumber?)
2) Support for shadowAccount host based access restriction (feature of
DirectoryAdministrator)

>I haven't had
>much luck getting phpLdapAdmin working with fedora-ds (I've had some
>objectclass violations when creating new users - haven't spent much time
>trying to figure that out as I like the console much better).

I'd like to get this working - can you post the error messages you're
seeing?  And access and errors log.