[Fedora-directory-users] Automatically incrementing uidNumber

Jeff Falgout jfalgout at ogov.net
Mon Jun 6 22:23:15 UTC 2005

>>>This sounds like a function of phpLdapAdmin, not the LDAP server.  I
>>>haven't used phpLdapAdmin, but if it works with Fedora DS, then you
>>>should be able to use that feature as well.
>>>
>>Any chance of making this a function of the console? I'd rather use the
>>console - as it does almost everything needed and then some.
>>
> Ok, I see.  Sure.  I would love to get a list of features of other LDAP
> administration tools that are not supported by the Fedora DS console.
> 1) Support auto-increment of uidNumber (other attributes?  gidNumber?)
> 2) Support for shadowAccount host based access restriction (feature of
> DirectoryAdministrator)

For gidNumber, are you thinking along the lines of the way a normal Red
Hat system creates a user, the same gid as the uid, vs a Suse box that
creates a user with a unique uid, but a common gid of 100 (users), I'm all
for the Red Hat way - maybe a configurable option.

>>I haven't had
>>much luck getting phpLdapAdmin working with fedora-ds (I've had some
>>objectclass violations when creating new users - haven't spent much time
>>trying to figure that out as I like the console much better).
>>

> I'd like to get this working - can you post the error messages you're
> seeing?  And access and errors log.

I'll get working on this again and post the errors, schema, etc.

This is pretty cool stuff!!