[Fedora-directory-users] schema extension via ldif at install time

Brian K. Jones jonesy.fds at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Jun 20 17:19:09 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I want to perform a custom installation of FDS, and when it asks for the ldif
file to be imported, I want to point it at a file that contains ldif to
extend the schema, and add the entries dumped from my old openldap directory.

Without extending the schema, the import will fail because every entry
violates the default schema. However, turning schema checking off leaves some
small chance that there is something in my directory that shouldn't be there
or isn't as it should be.

I have another installation of FDS on a test machine, and I used the GUI to
add my extra objects and attributes, and I tried copying the resulting ldif
to the server I'm now trying to install (minus operational stuff), but the
install ignored the cn=schema part of my LDIF file (the part holding the
schema extensions), and subsequently, all of the entries failed.

Has anyone done this? Any clues? Is there somewhere I can place a 99user.ldif
file *before* running setup that will cause the slapd instance to use it the
first time it starts up?
Thanks,
brian.