[Fedora-directory-users] schema extension via ldif at install time

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Mon Jun 20 17:26:48 UTC 2005

Brian K. Jones wrote:

>I want to perform a custom installation of FDS, and when it asks for the ldif
>file to be imported, I want to point it at a file that contains ldif to
>extend the schema, and add the entries dumped from my old openldap directory.
>
>Without extending the schema, the import will fail because every entry
>violates the default schema. However, turning schema checking off leaves some
>small chance that there is something in my directory that shouldn't be there
>or isn't as it should be.
>
>I have another installation of FDS on a test machine, and I used the GUI to
>add my extra objects and attributes, and I tried copying the resulting ldif
>to the server I'm now trying to install (minus operational stuff), but the
>install ignored the cn=schema part of my LDIF file (the part holding the
>schema extensions), and subsequently, all of the entries failed.
>
>Has anyone done this? Any clues? Is there somewhere I can place a 99user.ldif
>file *before* running setup that will cause the slapd instance to use it the
>first time it starts up?

I'm not sure if there's a 'clean' way to do what you want (there may be,
I'm not terribly familiar with the details of installation), however I
suspect
that the reason it's not working for you is that the ldif file is
_imported_,
and not added via LDAP. You can't import schema entries because they
don't live in an importable back end. They need to be added via an
LDAP connection.