[Fedora-directory-users] schema extension via ldif at install time

Brian K. Jones jonesy.fds at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Jun 20 18:10:15 UTC 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 2:03 pm, Mike Jackson wrote:

> Don't put schema into 99user.ldif, it's not maintainable.

This would seem to be contrary to the documentation on redhat's site. I'm
certainly not meaning to say you're wrong - quite the contrary - I'm pointing
out to whomever it may concern that the docs need polishing :)

> Instead, create a file like 90myOwnSchema.ldif, then you can version
> control and upgrade it when needed.

I've also seen the docs mention that these files are imported in order, so I
understand, and will change this. Presumably, I can do a simple "mv" on the
file. Lemme know if this is not the case.

> Also, you should read about the silent installation capability of the

I did. Thanks!

> setup program. I have done extensive coding to generate silent.inf files

Seen 'em, thanks!

> from arbitrary data sources, and have automated the entire installatoin
> and replicaton configuration process from start to finish.

Right - and I plan to use this in the future to make disaster recovery, moving
of services/machines as simple and brainless as humanly possible. The first
step, though, was to get the import right before I go automating it ;-)

Did any of your coding allow for a "userSchema" keyword in the config file,
for which I could've just put the path to my schema file? That would be nice,
but I don't remember seeing it. I did see that I could specify an ldif file,
but attempts to put schema extensions in that ldif file have, so far, failed.

thanks,
brian.