[Fedora-directory-users] lagest depoyment?

speedy zinc speedy_zinc at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 15 13:01:45 UTC 2005

--- Mike Jackson wrote:

> Computers have many variables which can be tuned for
> different purposes,
> so the absolute performance is difficult to
> abstractly state.

And that's what I referred to: a systematic way. And
I'd like to learn the best practice in a systematic
way.

At least in other field, there are certain ways
(no matter how abstract that is) to evaluate certain
things,  and it is a recognized way besides that.

But there is not much comparable thing in computer
science.

I have one year to go before graduating, and I think
I've done quite a bit of programming practice during
these school years. Currently, my graduation project
is settled on (for now) modelling server behavior
under heavy load, especially how to make the OS behave
"consistently" regardless of the app that is taking
heavy load. And I'd like to work out a model that is
consistent all the time (or least, over 98% of the
time). Maybe my technique is not right, but I find it
quite hard to experiment, and especially hard to
simulate heavy load and get an objective result, when
I have only a one-machine setup which has to act
as a server as well as 2000 clients or something.

That's when I think it would be great if people can
publish some data that we can use as a base to
study.

What I found amazing is that there's not much analysis
data on previous project that students like me can
study. And we have all heard about those multi-million

and multi-billion dollars IT projects all the time.
I think it is pretty safe to publish some analysis
data in a huge projects like those, without revealing
any industrial secrets or compromsing any privacy.

My friend in civial engineering, when he submit a
project on a small tiny bridge, he has to provide
a lot of simulation and analysis data to show that
the bridge would stand up. He can tweak the
parameters,
that's fine, but that's based on recognized
frameworks.

When we submit our project, in CS, the teacher will
feed in pre-calculated input data, and look at the
output. If the output matches, you pass. Most people
think that's fine, as long as they get the grade.
What's scary is that we work on a hard-core
real-time OS kernel, which the professor insists
on that's the kind of OS that could be used to control
a nuclear power center, and we used that same lousy
method to evaluate student's work. But that's hardly
scientific, isn't it?

Yeah, I know, I've learned the real-time kernel model,
it's different, and there are quite a bit of
literature, and there's even mathematical model, etc,
but I don't see much of a framework.

Ah, all these ranting which has nothing to do with
FDS... sorry :)

> I suggest you take some time to study system
> performance testing.
> Another thing worth understanding is the difference
> between software
> engineering and system engineering.
>
> Finally, I can't give you details about my
> deployments because it would
> reveal sales related numbers of the system which I
> work with - something
> which I am not allowed to reveal because of business
> reasons.

Yeah, I know, but it could be anonymized, no? :)

I promise I won't beat on this thread again. Chen's
fault, I was doing some modelling work, and he
threw in this question, can't help it :)

regards

sz