[Fedora-directory-users] Search by "uid" attribute returns duplicate results

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 29 01:31:34 UTC 2005

Kevin M. Myer wrote:

> Quoting Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com>:
>

>> Sounds like a messed up index i.e. when you wiped the
>> database/subtree, it didn't wipe the uid.db4 index file.   However,
>> if you initialized the database again by importing an LDIF file (e.g.
>> by ldif2db, not ldapmodify -a), it should have wiped out the old
>> index as well.
>

> I used the Admin Console to do the creation/wiping and importing.  Not
> sure which mechanism that invokes.

Looks like it didn't clean up correctly.  Also, import from the console
may be using the equivalent of ldapmodify -a, which just adds the new
entries without wiping out the old.  If you use the "initialize
database" option, it should do a full destructive import.

> So far it hasn't created major problems, except with RADIUS
> authentication, since freeradius apparently wants a unique entry when
> a LDAP BIND occurs.  I'm envisioning the need to completely wipe
> things for this subtree on one server.  If I disable replication both
> ways for this subtree, delete the subtree on the errant server, then
> enable replication and initialize from the good set of data, that
> should take care of things, right?  Or is there an even simpler way to
> recreate the index?

You could try db2index, but reimport is the fastest and safest way.