[Fedora-directory-users] Re: SubjectAltName how does it work?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Apr 11 18:00:11 UTC 2006

Alex wrote:

>>Like Richard said, what is nsSSLPersonalitySSL set to in
>>dse.ldif on the nodes?
>>
>>you should keep the names consistent.  I mean, how do you
>>know whether alt-server refers to nodo1 or nodo2??  You know
>>now but what about 5 months from now??
>>
>>also, can you do ldapsearch -ZZ against both nodo1/2 without problems?
>>

> I'm apologize but I'don't understand what you want to say...and no....at
> this point I can't do ldapsearch -zz
>
> I only follow your instructions to enable encryption on both server and
> trying to make a query from a client on both server using a floating ip with
> ssl enable....I understood that the solution was SubjectAltName and I asked
> in which way was possible to implement it...following Rob tips seems doesn't
> working and last post is the last step on my configuration for testing it.

You are doing a couple of odd things:

1. Why does nodo1 get it's own nickname but nodo2 is named Alt-Cert? As
I've said before, the nicknames aren't important, but you should have
some sort of naming policy.
2. You may need to fully qualify the cn in the certificates:
nodo1.domain.example.com. This alone could explain the -12276 error. I
don't know if NSS will reconstitute the domain from it's dc components.

Does ldapsearch work against each fully-qualified host? Get ldapsearch
working for the CN and for the alt subject first before trying to do MMR.

rob