[Fedora-directory-users] Howto on Basic Setup

Mike Jackson mj at sci.fi
Wed Aug 30 19:23:48 UTC 2006

James Richardson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> There seems to be a lot of install/design documentation regarding FDS,
> however I've not been able to find a quick "howto" on setting a FDS up
> for a small company. For example, say a shop with 25-50 linux machines
> and 150 or so user accounts.
>
> For example, what all attributes should I be applying to my user
> objects? Is it necessary to subclass the schema or is there something
> already that fits my needs out there? Ninty-Five percent of the job of
> this FDS will be authentication user accounts to linux machines (other
> 5% could be authenticating web access or something like that).

Hi,
  FDS includes the posixAccount, posixGroup, and inetOrgPerson object
classes. You don't really need more than this to do simple user
authentication for linux and apache, as well as basic personnel info
management.

  I suggest creating user objects with the following classes:

top
person
inetOrgPerson
account