[Fedora-directory-users] Binding using attribute other than CN

Richard Gibson fluffy.gibson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:36:54 UTC 2006

Hello there.

I've been using the Fedora Directory Server for very small scale testing at
work, but actually know rather little about LDAP unfortunately. Hopefully
you won't mind.
Anyway, is it possible to bind with an entry other than CN? I have the
following user (LDIF format):

dn: uid=RSmith,ou=People, dc=fedora,dc=test,dc=com
mail: blablabla at test.com
uid: RSmith
givenName: Richard
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetorgperson
objectClass: ntuser
objectClass: posixAccount
sn: Smith
cn: RSmith
creatorsName:
uid=admin,ou=administrators,ou=topologymanagement,o=netscaperoot
modifiersName:
uid=admin,ou=administrators,ou=topologymanagement,o=netscaperoot
createTimestamp: 20050905103419Z
modifyTimestamp: 20050916131603Z
nsUniqueId: 86b5b081-1dd211b2-806ddcd6-e1700000
ntUserDomainId: smithr
uidNumber: 1
gidNumber: 2
homeDirectory: /home/smithr

When attempting to bind using the following (as taken from the access log):
BIND dn="ntUserDomainId=Richard Smith,ou=People,dc=fedora,dc=test,dc=com"
method=128 version=3

...I get "No such object". This user does exist though. Is binding using the
ntUserDomainId out of the question?

I notice from the following discussion that the same sort of thing is
possible in Active Directory, although I have not tried it myself:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.adsi.general/browse_thread/thread/b5fc22bfdd9079fe/f1caf3c9cf6c8188?lnk=st&q=ldap+bind+only+via+CN%3F&rnum=1&hl=en#f1caf3c9cf6c8188

Thanks
Rich