[Fedora-directory-users] New filesystem layout for directory server and admin server files

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Jul 3 13:20:31 UTC 2006

Graham Leggett wrote:
> mj at sci.fi wrote:
>
>> One of the biggest strengths of this software is that it is
>> completely self-contained, which allows much simpler troubleshooting,
>> research and development of administration tools, and testing
>> multiple versions. It is easier to see if a file is missing or has
>> the wrong permissions, and fix it. It is easier to backup and
>> restore. I could go on and on. When an entire network depends on the
>> LDAP infrastructure, these type of things really matter.
>
> This is an argument for compiling critical binaries statically by
> default (something I wish Redhat would do with RPM, so that upgrading
> isn't such a mission), but as to the filesystem layout, having a non
> FHS package on the system means I must partition my system differently
> just for FDS, which isn't ideal.
Meaning you have to make /opt bigger, or on its own (large) partition.
Note that a large FDS deployment will usually have to do a custom disk
partition, in order to have the database files on a separate physical
disk than the database transaction logs.  For a small deployment, it may
not matter.

So are you saying that in a typical FHS deployment, the /var partition
is by far the largest, and is on a separate partition than /?  If not,
then it doesn't make any difference - /opt is just as "bad" as /var.

> I think it would be ideal to include the option for supporting both
> standalone and FHS, to keep everyone happy.
We will most likely not go the route of having two separate packages,
one /opt layout and one FHS layout.  This is just too much work to have
to QA two packages for every OS/platform combination.  It's also a lot
of work for our documentation - it would either make the documentation
really confusing by having to specify two different paths for
everything, or create a lot more work by having two different doc sets.
It seems the leading contender so far is to use the FHS layout for the
"real" files, and have the /opt layout be mostly symlinks to
files/directories in the FHS style layout.

Another option would be to allow the installer to specify the prefix.
This is really frowned upon in RPM-land, but it may make sense for
Fedora DS.  You would get the FHS style layout by default, but you could
specify /opt/fedora-ds as the prefix, in which case you get the FHS
style layout underneath /opt/fedora-ds.