[Fedora-directory-users] New filesystem layout for directory server and admin server files

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Jul 2 10:11:18 UTC 2006

mj at sci.fi wrote:

> One of the biggest strengths of this software is that it is completely
> self-contained, which allows much simpler troubleshooting, research and
> development of administration tools, and testing multiple versions. It
> is easier to see if a file is missing or has the wrong permissions, and
> fix it. It is easier to backup and restore. I could go on and on. When
> an entire network depends on the LDAP infrastructure, these type of
> things really matter.

This is an argument for compiling critical binaries statically by
default (something I wish Redhat would do with RPM, so that upgrading
isn't such a mission), but as to the filesystem layout, having a non FHS
package on the system means I must partition my system differently just
for FDS, which isn't ideal.

I think it would be ideal to include the option for supporting both
standalone and FHS, to keep everyone happy.

Regards,
Graham