[Fedora-directory-users] New filesystem layout for directoryserver and admin server files

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Mon Jul 3 15:19:19 UTC 2006

> Is all this partitioning stuff still being done ? I though it
> had gone away once Linux aquired  decent filesystem capabilities.
> I've installed probably 100 systems in the past few years,
> all with one big partition for all the /var /usr /tmp etc trees.
> If I want separate physical disks, I just call them /home2
> /home3 or whatever and point the applications at those paths.
> I can't remember the last time I configured a system with
> separate filesystems for /opt and /var
>
> Recent Fedora Core releases default to one big partition using LVM.
>
> Am I smoking crack ?

As someone who has to deal with high-security systems, user quotas,
databases, and several other fairly common things, I can tell you it
makes my life a hell of a lot easier to split a machines disk(s) into
separate filesystems.  You can't put a quota on "/home", for example, if
it's just a part of one big giant "/".

You'll also have a hard time mounting "/usr/bin" r/o if it's part of
"/".

There are a ton of reasons people still do this, and in my experience
it's far more common to do it than not to.