[Fedora-directory-users] Strange problem -- LDAP server hosed

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Fri Jul 7 20:19:31 UTC 2006

Mike Mueller wrote:
> Hey guys... I hope I can provide sufficient detail to get a clue here,
> but I don't have much info about what's happening yet.
>
> We are using Fedora DS v1.0.2, and the client is a Java application
> using JNDI.  The client is doing some tests that involve manipulating
> the schema, adding/removing attributes, adding/modifying/removing
> object classes.  During this process, objects of these types are
> created in the directory, too.
>
> What's happening is that it seems like objects with duplicate names
> are being created, i.e. cn=object1 is created twice.  The second time
> it gets created, its name is nsuniqueid=<alphanumeric string>.  I'm
> not sure how this could happen, because typically if you tried to
> create a duplicate entry, you'd get a
> javax.naming.directory.NameAlreadyBoundException.
Are you are using multi-master replication?  It sounds like these
entries you are seeing are replication conflict entries.  You can read
about dealing with them in the Administrator's Guide.  Here is a link to
the relevant section:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/replicat.html#1106141

> What's worse, I can't delete any of these entries.  When I try to, it
> says "Operation not allowed on nonleaf" (doing this via the graphical
> console), although the object in question is a leaf.  Typically, even
> for nonleafs, the GUI would recursively delete everything.
What happens when you try to delete the entry with ldapdelete?  Also,
did you verify that the entry is indeed a leaf entry with ldapsearch as
"cn=directory manager"?

-NGK