[Fedora-directory-users] moving fds data from one server to its replacement

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Aug 3 15:35:32 UTC 2007

Tony wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a fds server that I'd like to move to a different machine. It's
> currently running on a CentOS 4.5 system in a vmware virtual machine
> using the fedora-ds-1.0.4-1.RHEL4.i386.opt.rpm package. Now that I've
> discovered I can install the FC6 rpm version onto CentOS 5 I would
> like to move my fds to the main machine and get rid of the virtual
> machine.
>
> Is there any recommended way for the easiest way to migrate data from
> one fds to its replacement?
>
> Various possibilities jump to mind, and I'll end up working my way
> through some tests of these if the list doesn't voice a strong opinion
> on this.
>
> I could try to figure out which files fds stores all its data in and
> copy them across manually while the servers are stopped.

That would probably be the best.  The data format hasn't changed (you're
not going from 32bit to 64bit, are you?).  You should just be able to
install the software on the new machine, then run setup, then shutdown
all of your servers.  Make backups of /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv and
/opt/fedora-ds/slapd-* and /opt/fedora-ds/shared/config just in case.
Then, just copy over /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv, /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-*,
/opt/fedora-ds/shared/config, and the config directories under
/opt/fedora-ds/clients.