[Fedora-directory-users] moving fds data from one server to its replacement

Tony pthagonal at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 16:06:17 UTC 2007

On 8/3/07, Richard Megginson <rmeggins at redhat.com> wrote:
> Tony wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a fds server that I'd like to move to a different machine. It's
> > currently running on a CentOS 4.5 system in a vmware virtual machine
> > using the fedora-ds-1.0.4-1.RHEL4.i386.opt.rpm package. Now that I've
> > discovered I can install the FC6 rpm version onto CentOS 5 I would
> > like to move my fds to the main machine and get rid of the virtual
> > machine.
> >
> > Is there any recommended way for the easiest way to migrate data from
> > one fds to its replacement?
> >
> > Various possibilities jump to mind, and I'll end up working my way
> > through some tests of these if the list doesn't voice a strong opinion
> > on this.
> >
> > I could try to figure out which files fds stores all its data in and
> > copy them across manually while the servers are stopped.
> >
> That would probably be the best.  The data format hasn't changed (you're
> not going from 32bit to 64bit, are you?).  You should just be able to
> install the software on the new machine, then run setup, then shutdown
> all of your servers.  Make backups of /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv and
> /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-* and /opt/fedora-ds/shared/config just in case.
> Then, just copy over /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv, /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-*,
> /opt/fedora-ds/shared/config, and the config directories under
> /opt/fedora-ds/clients.

Thanks that was really useful. I ended up as follows:

installed package - rpm -Uvh fedora-ds-1.0.4-1.FC6.i386.opt.rpm
ignore instruction to run setup as I'm going to copy across all the config data
copy over my initscripts
recovered /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv from old server
recovered /opt/fedora-ds/slapd-directory
recovered /opt/fedora-ds/shared/config/*.conf
recovered start-admin, stop-admin, restart-admin scripts to /opt/fedora-ds
removed /opt/fedora-ds/clients/dsgw/config/dsgw.tmpl
removed /opt/fedora-ds/clients/dsgw/pbconfig/pb.tmpl
removed /opt/fedora-ds/clients/orgchart/config.tmpl
recovered /opt/fedora-ds/clients/orgchart/config.txt
recovered /opt/fedora-ds/clients/dsgw/context directory of conf files
recovered /opt/fedora-ds/alias files except for libnssckbi.so
used restorecon on all these files - they were copied with -a so owner
and perms are right, but security contexts were possibly a bit odd
modify /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv/config/httpd.conf - CentOS5 has
apache 2.2 which has slightly different modules- 2 existing modules
need commenting out and 5 new ones need to be loaded:
# LoadModule access_module /etc/httpd/modules/mod_access.so
# LoadModule auth_module /etc/httpd/modules/mod_auth.so
LoadModule authn_file_module /etc/httpd/modules/mod_authn_file.so
LoadModule authz_host_module /etc/httpd/modules/mod_authz_host.so
LoadModule authz_user_module /etc/httpd/modules/mod_authz_user.so
LoadModule authz_owner_module /etc/httpd/modules/mod_authz_owner.so
LoadModule authz_groupfile_module /etc/httpd/modules/mod_authz_groupfile.so

I also had to switch selinux into permissive mode, start and stop the
services and then build and load an selinux module before going back
to enforcing.

--
Cheers,

Tony