[Fedora-directory-users] Permissions to manager passwds as admin

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 15:52:07 UTC 2007

Jeff wrote:
> How the heck do I set permissions so that admin can
> manage password policy? I did it once a while back but
> can't remember.

I'm assuming you mean the console admin user?
> Since I don't have permissions, every time I try to
> manage password policy in the java console the window
> just blanks out and that's what I am after fixing with
> permissions, I just can't remember how I did it last
> time
>
> Another interesting question would be, why isn't the
> admin by default not allowed to manage passwords for
> users and groups, etc.?
The admin is by default allowed to manage passwords, if you use the
setup program and have it create your DIT for you.
> That just doesn't make sense.
> You'd think the person who set the server up (ie-
> admin) should have the ability to manage users/groups
> passwords without playing a bunch with ACIs.

There really is no way around ACIs for any user other than directory
manager.  The setup program tries to be smart about adding the right
ACIs to various places.  But if you import an LDIF file, you have to add
the ACIs manually.