[Fedora-directory-users] Migration from 1.0 and 7.1 to 1.1

David Barker D.R.Barker at exeter.ac.uk
Sun Jul 8 20:43:28 UTC 2007

Richard Megginson wrote:

> One of the big issues is cross platform migration e.g. going from FC-5
> i386 to F7 x86_64.  There are a number of issues involved with this.
> We are trying to figure out the best way to do this and we need your
> help.  If you could, please read the section about cross platform
> migration -
> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DS_Admin_Migration#Cross_platform
> - and let us know what you think, especially if you are an admin who
> will actually be using this in a production environment.

I'd guess the "worst-case upgrade" is a single directory server
deployment where a cross platform upgrade could imply only 1 host is
available for reformat? If so, doing a "Local Source to Remote Target"
migration doesn't make much sense. In such cases, an export to ldif
first, backup/ reinstall / restore "/opt/fedora-ds" and then do the
upgrade against the restored data seems like the best way to do things.

Multi-directory-server sites probably have spare hardware kicking around
- I wouldn't worry about wasting disk space ;-)