[Fedora-directory-users] Admin Server Port

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 17:03:42 UTC 2007

Richard Megginson wrote:
> Steve Rigler wrote:

>>> What version of Fedora DS?  Note that the standard Apache used on
>>> most linux platforms will not even allow you to run as root.
>>>

>> This is 1.0.4 on RHEL 4.  The issue is that when I try to configure the
>> admin server to use a reserved port I get a dialog stating "inadequate
>> permission. Port is protected."
>>
> Hmm.  Not sure why that is.  The standard model for most unix/linux
> daemons now is to startup as root, open/bind the low port number, then
> setuid to a non-privileged user.

I think there is code that looks to see if the port is
available/bindable. Since admin server has already dropped priviledges
it can't change the port.

>> Ideally we'd like to be able to use "Directory Server Express" to
>> provide users with the ability to reset their own passwords.  Since this
>> should be secure it seems like it would make more sense to run the
>> service on port 443 rather than an unreserved port.  I'm just stumbling
>> on actually getting this part to work.
>>
> Why do you need to use 443?  The Admin Server can serve https requests
> without having to be on port 443.

You could try setting it manually in
/opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv/config/console.conf

I suspect he wants 443 because it is easier and users don't need to
remember to set a port.

rob