[Fedora-directory-users] Admin Server Port

Steve Rigler srigler at marathonoil.com
Wed Jun 13 17:47:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 13:03 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:

> > Why do you need to use 443?  The Admin Server can serve https requests
> > without having to be on port 443.
>

> You could try setting it manually in
> /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv/config/console.conf
>
> I suspect he wants 443 because it is easier and users don't need to
> remember to set a port.

Aside from the fact that it's a well known port, it's also a port that's
less likely to be restricted via firewall rules.  The system is on an
internal network, but I need to be able to allow remote users (connected
through VPN) to use it and there are firewalls in place between them and
the rest of the network.  By putting this on a well known port I'm
saving myself the grief of having to go through a risk-analysis down the
road because a firewall rule needs to be changed.

I believe I've found the way to configure it to use port 443 (aside from
specifying that at setup time).  In addition to "console.conf" it looks
like "local.conf" and "adm.conf" need to be updated as well as the
"nsserverport" attribute in the configuration entry for the admin server
under "o=NetscapeRoot".  Curiously enough, I wasn't able to update
"nsserverport" from the GUI (pops up "unknown error with naming
attribute") but I could do it with "ldapmodify".

Anyways, it's working now.

Thanks,
Steve