[Fedora-directory-users] Admin Server Port

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Jun 13 17:48:24 UTC 2007

Steve Rigler wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 13:03 -0400, Rob Crittenden wrote:
>

>>> Why do you need to use 443?  The Admin Server can serve https requests
>>> without having to be on port 443.
>>>
>> You could try setting it manually in
>> /opt/fedora-ds/admin-serv/config/console.conf
>>
>> I suspect he wants 443 because it is easier and users don't need to
>> remember to set a port.
>>

> Aside from the fact that it's a well known port, it's also a port that's
> less likely to be restricted via firewall rules.  The system is on an
> internal network, but I need to be able to allow remote users (connected
> through VPN) to use it and there are firewalls in place between them and
> the rest of the network.  By putting this on a well known port I'm
> saving myself the grief of having to go through a risk-analysis down the
> road because a firewall rule needs to be changed.

Ok.
> I believe I've found the way to configure it to use port 443 (aside from
> specifying that at setup time).  In addition to "console.conf" it looks
> like "local.conf"
local.conf is a read-only cache of the admin server config information
stored under o=NetscapeRoot in the configuration directory server.
> and "adm.conf"
I think the port is ignored in this file.  It's there for historical
purposes.
> need to be updated as well as the
> "nsserverport" attribute in the configuration entry for the admin server
> under "o=NetscapeRoot".
I think this and console.conf are the two main (only?) places.
> Curiously enough, I wasn't able to update
> "nsserverport" from the GUI (pops up "unknown error with naming
> attribute")
On which screen?