[Fedora-directory-users] Integrating EMC NAS (and Solaris How-To)

Jim Hogan jimh at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 20 22:43:12 UTC 2007

I am trialing an EMC NS350 as a candidate NAS to serve CIFS and NFS
clients (XP, OSX, and Linux).  I have set up a working Samba 3.x domain
with FDS 1.01 back end and I have an older, borrowed NetApp Filer
(DataOnTap 6.5) working fine as a temporary NFS/CIFS server authing
against LDAP/Samba.

With the EMC, official support is limited to AD and Sun iPlanet LDAP.
The latter limitation of support is turning out to be less theoretical
than I might have hoped.  It seems like the EMC wants to behave like an
"official"  iPlanet/Sun client.

I am thinking that the solution to this problem could be to config FDS
as laid out in the Solaris Client How-To here:

    http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SolarisClient

I have a couple of questions.  First, has anybody done this (integrated
an EMC) who has a cut-and-dried report on doing it?

Second, the second schema for NIS domain seems relevant only if the
client is also binding to a NIS domain.  I'm not.  Or hope not to be :)
Then, is the following step -- adding nisdomain attribute -- also
optional? Seems like it should be.

I am going to try the EMC with the stock set of serviceSearchDescriptor
listed in the How-To's example profile.  If anybody else has improved on
that for an EMC, I would be interested in your comments.

There were both pros and cons when comparing NetApp and EMC offerings
this time.  It is a bit ironic that NetApp isn't nearly as Linux-y as
EMCs Celerra product, yet LDAP was a breeze to set up on the Filer
itself.  In contrast, very little client-side non-iPlanet configuration
is possible on the EMC, so I don't see much alternative to going through
this server-side Solaris-style config change (and hope that it works!)

Thanks,

Jim