[Fedora-directory-users] More re: Integrating EMC NAS (and Solaris How-To)

Jim Hogan jimh at u.washington.edu
Wed Mar 21 22:37:44 UTC 2007

My overall goal is still getting this EMC to work so I don't have to
take it apart and send it back.  I think I am getting real close (to not
sending it back).  Richard M. graciously helped me through some
problems, probably self-induced, with loading of the NIS/Solaris schema
mentioned in the FDS Solaris How-To.

After following the steps in the How-To, I purged and redid the client
profile with a defined TTL of 5 minutes and then I erased the EMC's
client/bind/profile config and started over.  Many more things now
work.  When, on the EMC, I issue "server_ldap servername -info -verbose"
I see that it now has the profile's TTL and timestamp and it actual has
a correct mapping of group to ou=Groups.  Progress!

However, as an example pasted below shows, it was still only resolving
users by numeric uid.  No attempt as resolving group name/id worked.  No
problem binding that I immediately saw.  This *seemed* like some sort of
an attribute mapping issue, but then I saw that group queries worked
maybe 1 time in 4.  When I started looking more closely at LDAP logs, I
realized the NAS' queries weren't making it to the LDAP server/daemon.
Name resolution.

The EMC NS350 is functionally divided into a "control station" and a
"data mover".  These each have their own /etc/hosts and nsswitch.conf.
DNS lookup for LDAP server apparently wasn't fast enough for the EMC, so
I have temporarily changed LDAP server spec in the iPlanet client
profile to the LDAP server's IP.  Now I am seeing consistent results for
group/user queries.  I'll add an updated hosts file to the data mover.

So the initial NIS schema and profile simply hid another problem.  It is
looking like I might be able to keep this thing.

Jim

 [nasadmin]$ server_ldap server_2 -lookup -group staff
server_2 :
Unable to get information for group staff
[nasadmin]$ server_ldap server_2 -lookup -group 2611
server_2 :
Unable to get information for group 2600
[nasadmin]$ server_ldap server_2 -lookup -gid 2611
server_2 :
Unable to get information for gid 2600
[nasadmin]$ server_ldap server_2 -lookup -user jimh
server_2 :
Unable to get information for user jimh
[nasadmin]$ server_ldap server_2 -lookup -uid jim
server_2 :
Unable to get information for uid 0
[nasadmin]$ server_ldap server_2 -lookup -uid 1111
server_2 :
user: jim, uid: 1111, gid: 2611