[Fedora-directory-users] Integrating EMC NAS (and Solaris How-To)

David Barker D.R.Barker at exeter.ac.uk
Thu Mar 22 09:25:12 UTC 2007

Jim Hogan wrote:
> I am trialing an EMC NS350 as a candidate NAS to serve CIFS and NFS
> clients (XP, OSX, and Linux).  I have set up a working Samba 3.x
> domain with FDS 1.01 back end and I have an older, borrowed NetApp
> Filer (DataOnTap 6.5) working fine as a temporary NFS/CIFS server
> authing against LDAP/Samba.
>
> With the EMC, official support is limited to AD and Sun iPlanet LDAP.
> The latter limitation of support is turning out to be less theoretical
> than I might have hoped.  It seems like the EMC wants to behave like
> an "official"  iPlanet/Sun client.
>
> I am thinking that the solution to this problem could be to config FDS
> as laid out in the Solaris Client How-To here:
>
>    http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:SolarisClient
>
> I have a couple of questions.  First, has anybody done this
> (integrated an EMC) who has a cut-and-dried report on doing it?
Yes ;-)

You will need a profile - ours look something like this:

dn: cn=default, ou=profile, dc=exeter,dc=ac,dc=uk
defaultSearchBase: dc=exeter,dc=ac,dc=uk
authenticationMethod: simple
followReferrals: TRUE
bindTimeLimit: 2
profileTTL: 43200
searchTimeLimit: 30
serviceAuthenticationMethod: pam_ldap:simple
objectClass: top
objectClass: DUAConfigProfile
defaultServerList: 1.2.3.4 1.2.3.3 1.2.3.2
credentialLevel: proxy
cn: default
serviceSearchDescriptor: passwd:ou=People,dc=exeter,dc=ac,dc=uk?sub
serviceSearchDescriptor: group:ou=group,dc=exeter,dc=ac,dc=uk?sub
serviceSearchDescriptor: user_attr:ou=people,dc=exeter,dc=ac,dc=uk?sub
serviceSearchDescriptor: shadow:ou=People,dc=exeter,dc=ac,dc=uk?sub
defaultSearchScope: one

Once you have a profile, run on the control station:

[nasadmin at XXXXCS nasadmin]$ server_ldap server_2 -set -domain
exeter.ac.uk -servers 1.2.3.4 -profile default

If you have multiple directories (I assume you do) - pass in any one of
the IP's, but make sure they're all in the profile.
Once you have run it, verify that all is well:

[nasadmin at RCRNSCS nasadmin]$ server_ldap server_2 -info
server_2 :
LDAP domain: exeter.ac.uk
      State: Configured - Connected
NIS domain: exeter.ac.uk
   Profile Name: default
    Profile TTL: 43200 seconds
   Next Profile update in 43197 seconds
Connected to LDAP server address: 1.2.3.4 - port 389
[nasadmin at RCRNSCS nasadmin]$ server_ldap server_2 -lookup -user guest500
server_2 :
user: guest500, uid: 1577, gid: 1001
[nasadmin at RCRNSCS nasadmin]$