[Fedora-directory-users] Trying to set up a simple authentication and file server

George Holbert gholbert at broadcom.com
Tue Mar 27 21:10:06 UTC 2007

Hi Andy,

Not to discourage you, but if you're going to switch from NIS to LDAP,
be prepared to spend a lot of time.
For a single site with 20 users, the simplicity of NIS might make it a
better choice, particularly since you and your co-workers  are already
familiar with it.

> (1) Is fedora-ds the right tool for the job? Perhaps it is using a
> sledgehammer to crack a nut.

FDS is a great tool, but yeah, it is kind of a sledgehammer for your case.

> (3) How do I add the automap? Various websites talk about
> "automountInformation:" entry, but where does that come in? It does not
> appear as an attribute I can add to a person.

You need to add some extra schema.
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:Automount

> (4) Does anyone know of a simple walk-through documentation to do this
> as I am surely not the first person to try and do this with FDS?

Gary Tay has a lot of good notes on NIS-to-LDAP topics here:
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~garyttt

I don't know of any one-size-fits-all recipes.

Good luck!
-- George