[Fedora-directory-users] How to change password storage method?

Andy Schofield ajs at th.ph.bham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 29 16:28:40 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:09:00 +0100
Andy Schofield <ajs at th.ph.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

> I want the passwords for all Users in People to be stored in md5.
> Everything I have done (like selecting a user and "Managing passwords"
> leaves them in SSHA which is presumably some default.

Sorry - found it in the manual

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/ag/7.1/password.html#1074672

> My real problem is that clients are broadcasting passwords in the
> clear (despite pam being told to use md5 with ldap). I am assuming
> that is because the ldap server is using SSHA and pam is using md5 so
> they negotiate to send passwords in the clear. Does that sound right?

However - it has not solved this problem. The password is still being
sent in the clear. I have /etc/ldap.conf including the line:

pam_password md5

I was hoping that it ensure only hashed passwords would be sent to the
FDS server. Any other ideas how to fix this?

Andy