[Fedora-directory-users] How to change password storage method?

Andy Schofield ajs at th.ph.bham.ac.uk
Thu Mar 29 18:28:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 10:38:05 -0700
Pete Rowley <prowley at redhat.com> wrote:

> > However - it has not solved this problem. The password is still
> > being sent in the clear. I have /etc/ldap.conf including the line:
> >
> What you need is not a hashed password sent over the wire (which
> achieves very little) but an encrypted transport using SSL, or SASL
> and kerberos.

Yes - I agree and I am working on getting SSL going.

However, a hashed password is better than nothing surely. Even NIS
didn't sent passwords in the clear.

But I see that the /etc/ldap.conf line I have been playing with only
affects password updates and probably there is nothing I can do to
prevent clear passwords apart from SSL. (Just as George points out)

Thanks
Andy