[Fedora-directory-users] slapd password

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon May 21 18:12:20 UTC 2007

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
> <snip>
> Richard,
>
> Thank you, one step further.... but still no cigar.
>
> I had about 10 users to enter as test data, but am not sure if the data
> made it to the server.
>
> My entry command was :
> ldapmodify -v -x -a -D "cn=Directory Manager" -W -f ./EcCare.ldif
>
> And the response was :
>
> add objectclass:
>         top
>         domain
> add dc:
>         EcCare
> add aci:
>         (target ="ldap:///dc=EcCare,dc=com")(targetattr !
> ="userPassword")(version 3.0;acl "Anonymous read-search access";allow
> (read, search, compare)(userdn = "ldap:///anyone");)
>         (target="ldap:///dc=EcCare,dc=com") (targetattr = "*")(version
> 3.0; acl "allow all Admin group"; allow(all) groupdn =
> "ldap:///cn=Directory Administrators,ou=Groups,dc=EcCare,dc=com";)
> adding new entry "dc=EcCare,dc=com"
> modify complete
> ldap_add: Already exists (68)
>
> When I perform :
>
> ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=eccare,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)'
>
> I get :
>
> dn: dc=EcCare,dc=com
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: domain
> dc: EcCare
>
> # Directory Administrators, EcCare.com
> dn: cn=Directory Administrators, dc=EcCare,dc=com
> objectClass: top
> objectClass: groupofuniquenames
> cn: Directory Administrators
>
> Note: I used the Example.ldif as a template with some changes of the
> data.
>
> When I do :
>
> ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=eccare,dc=com' '(cn=Ennis)'
>
> I get :
>
> # search result
> search: 2
> result: 0 Success
>
> Which causes me to believe the details of the data did not make it to
> the server.

You are correct.  The error Already exists (68) means you tried to add
an entry that already exists (probably dc=EcCare,dc=com).  Remove that
entry from your ldif file and try again.  When you run setup, and choose
your initial base suffix, setup will create that entry for you.  You can
also add the "-c" argument to ldapmodify to make it continue despite
errors.