[Fedora-directory-users] FDS and OpenLDAP integration

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon Sep 17 13:56:43 UTC 2007

Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
> Richard Megginson wrote:
>

>> But there are ways to sync data from Fedora DS to OpenLDAP also.  You
>> just can't do both directions at the same time.  How could I word that
>> appropriately?
>>

> Can you elaborate on that?  From the Wiki, it seems that there are some,
> but they're undocumented.

I haven't had time to properly test and document this, but there are at
least 3 ways that I know of.
1) Enable audit logging, and use a process to periodically read from the
audit log and send those changes to another ldap server.
2) Enable audit logging, but use a named pipe instead of a file.
1 and 2 could probably be a Net::LDAP perl script or a python-ldap
script - read in the LDIF change records from the audit log, convert to
LDAP add/modify/delete commands.
3) Use the Retro Changelog in conjunction with persistent search.  This
could also be a script (if the LDAP client implementation understands
Fedora DS persistent search) that does basically the same thing as 1 and
2 above.

> The other way 'round (OL => FDS), one could try out OpenLDAP's
> slapo-accesslog(5) in the changelog-like variant (haven't tested, could
> need some hacking).  THis should work fine with changelog (Retro
> Changelog).
>
> Or (and it would probably be a big plus for RFC 4533) FDS could be added
> a plugin that makes use of LDAP Sync.  I note that, for applications
> that do not want to reinvent the wheel, OpenLDAP's libldap that ships
> with 2.4 provides a ldap_sync API that hides RFC 4533 details, so one
> only needs to deal with making use of the results of the various phases
> of the sync replication.

That's good to know.  Thanks!