[Fedora-directory-users] FDS <-> AD: UID/GID and OU sync

Alex Davies alex at davz.net
Wed Apr 30 08:34:08 UTC 2008

Hi All,

We have an AD architecture setup, and are looking to sync FDS with
this to allow us to authenticate Linux machines and network devices.

We have two AD domains, and have a winsync and passsync setup with one
of the domain controllers in each domain. This works, subject to the
limitation that we have to manually create each OU. Once we create the
OU in FDS, the users appear at the next sync. Question 1: is it
possible to automatically sync *all* OU's, including creating the OU
in FDS if it does not exist? We have hundreds of OUs, and I don't want
to have to create them all manually.

Question 2 is on UNIX UID/GID sync from AD. I've found a couple of
posts which imply that it is not possible to sync UID/GUD from AD[1],
but this was some time ago. An alternative piece of documentation
suggests that it is, but provides no details[2]. I'm also struggling
to find documentation on the libdna plugin, which I believe is
involved[3].

My questions are
- Is it possible to sync UID/GID from AD (where AD has the Unix Tools
installed, and therefore has these attributes in the schema).
- Is it possible to automatically apply a unique UID/GID to each user
that does not have a UID/GID?

Any help/pointers greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Alex

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-directory-users/2007-February/msg00111.html
[2] "Fedora DS gets posix/unix automatic uid generation (February 08, 2007)
The cvs head now contains a new feature for automatic generation of
sequenced numbers which is compatible with multi-master replication
environments. This feature can be used for automatic generation of
posix uidNumber and gidNumber in addition to other sequenced numeric
attributes required by your deployment. "
http://directory.fedoraproject.org/
[3] About the only referenceI can find:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-directory-users/2008-January/msg00081.html