[Fedora-directory-users] FDS <-> AD: UID/GID and OU sync

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Apr 30 14:27:58 UTC 2008

Alex Davies wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We have an AD architecture setup, and are looking to sync FDS with
> this to allow us to authenticate Linux machines and network devices.
>
> We have two AD domains, and have a winsync and passsync setup with one
> of the domain controllers in each domain. This works, subject to the
> limitation that we have to manually create each OU. Once we create the
> OU in FDS, the users appear at the next sync. Question 1: is it
> possible to automatically sync *all* OU's, including creating the OU
> in FDS if it does not exist? We have hundreds of OUs, and I don't want
> to have to create them all manually.

Not sure.  But I suppose it could be scripted if the init AD sync
process does not create them.
> Question 2 is on UNIX UID/GID sync from AD. I've found a couple of
> posts which imply that it is not possible to sync UID/GUD from AD[1],

That is correct.
> but this was some time ago. An alternative piece of documentation
> suggests that it is,but provides no details[2].
It just says that you can have the directory server automatically assign
uidNumber and gidNumber.  It doesn't say anything about AD sync.
> I'm also struggling
> to find documentation on the libdna plugin, which I believe is
> involved[3].

We're working on it.
> My questions are
> - Is it possible to sync UID/GID from AD (where AD has the Unix Tools
> installed, and therefore has these attributes in the schema).

No, not yet.  We have to add support for the posix schema to our AD sync
mechanism.  This is on the roadmap.
> - Is it possible to automatically apply a unique UID/GID to each user
> that does not have a UID/GID?

Not after the fact.  You'll have to write a script to do that.