[Fedora-directory-users] Remote console fails for access to Fedora-DS 1.1

Wolf Siedler siedler at hrd-asia.com
Tue Jun 10 18:58:30 UTC 2008

So let me describe the setup:
I have a server (RHEL 5.1) running Fedora Directory Server and Fedora
Admin Server. It used to be Fedora-DS 1.0.4 (installed from rpm). A few
days ago, I upgraded Fedora-DS to 1.1. For the upgrade procedure, I
followed the instructions on the website regarding prerequisites and
repo configuration. Afterwards, I ran the migration script
migrate-ds-admin.pl. It stated that migration was done successfully (as
per the logfile in /tmp/), only failed to start the admin server. Which
I then did manually. The directory server was started automatically.

Now I would like to use my workstation (running Fedora 7) for
configuration. Java is JDK 1.5.0_14 from Sun.
In the past, it worked after installing Fedora-DS 1.0.4 rpm and starting
the console by ./startconsole.
After the upgrade, I tried to duplicate the earlier approach and
upgraded everything Fedora-DS-related on my workstation to version
1.1... Then I tried to start the console via fedora-idm-console.

It didn't work 100%: I was able to open the configuration window for
Fedora Administration Server from the main console window. However, I
was unable to open the Fedora Directory Server configuration window from
the main console. There were always error messages about a
missing/incomplete fedora-ds-1.0.jar and clicking button "Download" in
the main console didn't chnage anything.

In order to see whether it might be a Java-related problem, I used a
virtual machine with Windows 2000, fedora IDM console (.msi) and Sun-JRE
1.5.0_15 for crosschecking. Same failure in the main console window when
trying to access the Fedora Directory Server (the one on the RHEL
server) configuration window .
Then I changed the JRE to Sun-JRE 1.6.0_06. Still, the same error when
trying to access the Fedora Directory Server configuration window.

So I removed everything Fedora-DS-related on my workstation, including
~/.fedora-idm-console.
Next step was to install package fedora-idm-console only through yum.

Afterwards, I started the console on my workstation by
fedora-idm-console -D 9 -f fds_console.log

 From studying fds_console.log, I learned that the console apparently
could not find fedora-ds-1.0.jar and fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar on the server
(error 404). Fedora-ds-1.1(...).jar were found.
So I went over the file structure at the server and found the
fedora-ds-1.1(...).jar files in directory  /usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/.
However, copying fedora-ds-1.0.jar and fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar to
/usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/ brought no change, fds_console.log still
showed the error 404.
Only after manually creating (sub)directory
/usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/jars/ and copying fedora-ds-1.0.jar +
fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar in there (only those two), the error 404
disappeared from fds_console.log.

The current status is: On my (Fedora 7) workstation, I can open Fedora
IDM console. Problems begin once I expand (in the main console window)
the subtree below "Server Group".
I still can access Fedora Administration Server and open its
configuration window. The (workstation/console) logfile fds_console.log
shows that fedora-admin-1.1.jar gets downloaded from server to workstation.
When attempting to open entry Fedora Directory Server, the console
downloads fedora-ds-1.0.jar and fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar. But I can't open
the corresponding configuration window from the console. Fds_console.log
shows plenty of "class not found messages" and ends up in a Java
exception error (attached below).

At least as far as I am aware, there should be no more Fedora-DS
components at level 1.0.4, neither on the server nor on the
workstation/console side.
However, while writing this down, I just double checked with JXplorer
and found in cn=Fedora Direcory Server, ... , o=NetscapeRoot the
attribute nsProductVersion as 1.0.4.

Is this maybe the reason for all my troubles? Is there a way to find out
whether my directory server is really still left at version 1.0.4? As
mentioned above, based on the feedback of the migration script, I was
honestly convinced it was successfully migrated.
If is just a matter of an inaccurate version string, I could easily
correct that through JXplorer. But to what value?

I regret to cause that much trouble. Nevertheless, I appreciate your
ongoing and fast advice.

Regards,
Wolf

======
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
         at
com.netscape.management.client.topology.AbstractServerObject.getNodeDataCount(Unknown
Source)
         at
com.netscape.management.client.topology.NodeDataPanel.createPanel(Unknown
Source)
         at
com.netscape.management.client.topology.NodeDataPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at
com.netscape.management.client.topology.NodeDataPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
         at
com.netscape.management.client.topology.AbstractServerObject.getCustomPanel(Unknown
Source)
         at
com.netscape.management.client.topology.ServerNode.reload(Unknown Source)
         at
com.netscape.management.client.topology.ServerNode.getCustomPanel(Unknown
Source)
         at
com.netscape.management.client.ResourceModel.getCustomPanel(Unknown Source)
         at
com.netscape.management.client.ResourcePage.valueChanged(Unknown Source)
         at javax.swing.JTree.fireValueChanged(JTree.java:2399)
         at
javax.swing.JTree$TreeSelectionRedirector.valueChanged(JTree.java:2770)
         at
javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.fireValueChanged(DefaultTreeSelectionModel.java:629)
         at
javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.notifyPathChange(DefaultTreeSelectionModel.java:1078)
         at
javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.setSelectionPaths(DefaultTreeSelectionModel.java:287)
         at
javax.swing.tree.DefaultTreeSelectionModel.setSelectionPath(DefaultTreeSelectionModel.java:170)
         at javax.swing.JTree.setSelectionPath(JTree.java:1174)
         at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI.selectPathForEvent(BasicTreeUI.java:2296)
         at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$Handler.handleSelectionImpl(BasicTreeUI.java:3509)
         at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$Handler.handleSelection(BasicTreeUI.java:3484)
         at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicTreeUI$Handler.mousePressed(BasicTreeUI.java:3465)
         at
java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mousePressed(AWTEventMulticaster.java:222)
         at
java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mousePressed(AWTEventMulticaster.java:221)
         at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:5514)
         at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3135)
         at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:3984)
         at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2024)
         at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4212)
         at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:3889)
         at
java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:3822)
         at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2010)
         at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:242)
         at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:163)
         at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:157)
         at
java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:149)
         at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:110)