[Fedora-directory-users] Remote console fails for access to Fedora-DS 1.1

Nathan Kinder nkinder at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 19:35:01 UTC 2008

Wolf Siedler wrote:
> [...]
> the main console didn't chnage anything.
>
> In order to see whether it might be a Java-related problem, I used a
> virtual machine with Windows 2000, fedora IDM console (.msi) and
> Sun-JRE 1.5.0_15 for crosschecking. Same failure in the main console
> window when trying to access the Fedora Directory Server (the one on
> the RHEL server) configuration window .
> Then I changed the JRE to Sun-JRE 1.6.0_06. Still, the same error when
> trying to access the Fedora Directory Server configuration window.
>
> So I removed everything Fedora-DS-related on my workstation, including
> ~/.fedora-idm-console.
> Next step was to install package fedora-idm-console only through yum.
>
> Afterwards, I started the console on my workstation by
> fedora-idm-console -D 9 -f fds_console.log
>
> From studying fds_console.log, I learned that the console apparently
> could not find fedora-ds-1.0.jar and fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar on the
> server (error 404). Fedora-ds-1.1(...).jar were found.
> So I went over the file structure at the server and found the
> fedora-ds-1.1(...).jar files in directory  /usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/.
> However, copying fedora-ds-1.0.jar and fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar to
> /usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/ brought no change, fds_console.log still
> showed the error 404.
> Only after manually creating (sub)directory
> /usr/share/dirsrv/html/java/jars/ and copying fedora-ds-1.0.jar +
> fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar in there (only those two), the error 404
> disappeared from fds_console.log.
>
> The current status is: On my (Fedora 7) workstation, I can open Fedora
> IDM console. Problems begin once I expand (in the main console window)
> the subtree below "Server Group".
> I still can access Fedora Administration Server and open its
> configuration window. The (workstation/console) logfile
> fds_console.log shows that fedora-admin-1.1.jar gets downloaded from
> server to workstation.
> When attempting to open entry Fedora Directory Server, the console
> downloads fedora-ds-1.0.jar and fedora-ds-1.0_en.jar. But I can't open
> the corresponding configuration window from the console.
> Fds_console.log shows plenty of "class not found messages" and ends up
> in a Java exception error (attached below).
>
> At least as far as I am aware, there should be no more Fedora-DS
> components at level 1.0.4, neither on the server nor on the
> workstation/console side.
> However, while writing this down, I just double checked with JXplorer
> and found in cn=Fedora Direcory Server, ... , o=NetscapeRoot the
> attribute nsProductVersion as 1.0.4.
>
> Is this maybe the reason for all my troubles? Is there a way to find
> out whether my directory server is really still left at version 1.0.4?
> As mentioned above, based on the feedback of the migration script, I
> was honestly convinced it was successfully migrated.
> If is just a matter of an inaccurate version string, I could easily
> correct that through JXplorer. But to what value?
I believe the migration did upgrade you to Fedora Directory Server 1.1,
which you can verify in the ns-slapd errors log.  The problem is that
not all of the entries used by the Administration Server were properly
updated.  You should be able to look through the "o=NetscapeRoot"
portion of your tree to see where 1.0.4 is still referenced and change
them.  The incorrect jar file name should be listed in an attribute
there as well.

-NGK

> I regret to cause that much trouble. Nevertheless, I appreciate your
> ongoing and fast advice.
>
> Regards,
> Wolf
>
> ======