[Fedora-directory-users] SOLVED: Remote console fails for access to Fedora-DS 1.1

Wolf Siedler siedler at hrd-asia.com
Wed Jun 11 04:08:48 UTC 2008

> I believe the migration did upgrade you to Fedora Directory Server
> 1.1, which you can verify in the ns-slapd errors log.  The problem is
> that not all of the entries used by the Administration Server were
> properly updated.  You should be able to look through the
> "o=NetscapeRoot" portion of your tree to see where 1.0.4 is still
> referenced and change them.  The incorrect jar file name should be
> listed in an attribute there as well.

Nathan, thank you - that finally did it!

To summarize:
Directory server and admin server were upgraded (migrated) from version
1.0.4 to 1.1.
Migration was handled by provided script migrate-ds-admin.pl.
After migration, fedora-idm-console from remote workstation was able to
open admin server, but not directory server. This setup worked when
servers and remote console were still at version 1.0.4.

Cause:
It was found that during migration several entries in subtree below
"o=NetscapeRoot" (section "cn=Fedora Directory Server") were still
pointing to the old file fedora-ds-1.0.jar. Actually, all references in
cn=Fedora Directory Server were still pointing to the old jar file.
There were other (textual) references to previous version no. 1.0.4 as well.
Altogether, this prevented access from local (on the server itself) as
well as remote console to the Fedora Directory Server configuration
window. The console tried to load fedora-ds-1.0.jar from the server
which was (of course) not available.

Remedy:
Used a third-party tool (www.jxplorer.org) to manually change all
references in the aforementioned tree part from fedora-ds-1.0.jar into
fedora-ds-1.1.jar.

Achknowledgements:
A big Thank You goes to Nathan, Rich and solarflow99 who guided me after
a week of fruitless fumbling within two days to the solution.

Regards,
Wolf