[Fedora-directory-users] Re: Windows sync: how do you populate the posixUser attributes?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 15:26:00 UTC 2008

Kenneth Holter wrote:

> The IPA documentation states that it ships with (Fedora/Red Hat)
> Directory Server. Won't we get the same sync issues with (free/Red
> Hat) IPA as with Directory Server alone?
No.  IPA winsync (coming Real Soon Now) extends regular DS windows sync
in a couple of ways:
* AD users synced over to IPA will get the full kerberos and posix (and
other) schema, including a uidNumber automatically assigned.
* If a user is disabled in AD, that user will be disabled in IPA, and
vice versa
* There is the ability to force sync - if there is an already existing
IPA user with the same user id (uid attribute) as an already existing AD
user (samAccountName attribute) they will be automatically synced - you
do not have to manually add the ntUser objectclass and ntUserDomainID
attribute with the samAccountName value to the IPA entry