[389-users] Samba integration with FDS and Heartbeat for HA Samba

yersinia yersinia.spiros at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 14:09:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 10:00 PM, David Christensen <
David.Christensen at viveli.com> wrote:

> I successfully setup heartbeat and glusterfs (instead of DRBD) to
> provide an HA Samba configuration.  I tested that fail over worked fine
> all the existing computers were able to get to their shares and re
> authenticate users.
>
> However I discovered that I was not able to join computers to the domain
> after the configuration was setup.  The netbios name was changed to
> accommodate the new heartbeat VIP and the new VIP is the only address I
> have samba bound to.
>
> When I go to add the computer to the domain, type to the domain in and
> hit enter, I am presented with a login dialog box.  When I enter the
> admin and password and hit enter, after a few seconds I get the warning
> that a controller for the domain could not be foumd.

So samba is the PDC, if not clear to me from the mail. If this is the case
the netbios name
of the samba - or windows prewindows 2000  - domain PDC is

domainname#1B

The samba - or windows prewindos 200 - domain DC - so also the BC - is

domain#1C

(e.g. the domain master browser in windows term )

Now, how your samba PDC/BDC registrar  their name ? If you use wins in
smb.conf - let me call the wins server with the ip address x.y.z.w - try to
lookup the domain name

nmblookup  -R -U x.y.z.w domainame#1C (e similar for #1B)

If  not - your PDC is into the same broadcast address (e.g subnet) of your
client -

nmblookup domainname#1B  (#1C also)

In reality the client was finding domainname#1C for update the machine
account onto the PDC. If the one of the preceding command fail well it is
only a wins or other namespace registration problem : not a local samba
problem. Or, perhaps you have not tell in more depth the different
configuration on samba you have done, so it is possible i am wrong.

Regard