[389-users] OK, so how do I use this thing?

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 15:48:28 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Prashanth Sundaram <psundaram at wgen.net> wrote:
> It will take time to learn LDAP as it is a huge topic. Here's a book I would
> recommend: LDAP System Administration by Gerald Carter(O'Reilly Publication)

Yeah, no kidding - holy moly!   I just ordered that book about 30
minutes ago actually because everyone keeps recommending it to me.

> Google for "How to setup LDAP authentication" and there is ton of info.

Too much :-)   My first test was a failure - locked myself out of the
system.  Fortunately I'm playing in a VMWare sandbox so I just blew
away the client OS and am reinstalling.  We'll see where I get next
time :-)

> Again, setting up simple (basic) LDAP authentication is configuring
> ldap.conf and nsswitch.conf . But it is not sufficient, you have to make
> changes here and there to meet all your requirements

I'll be happy if I can just get that simple thing going.   We'll see
where I get.

> Virtual machine and SAN storage. You can set PAM Module to create homedir on
> login and change to it.(authconfig --enablemkhomedir)
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/seawolf-list@redhat.com/msg03331.html

Nifty - thanks!