[389-users] OK, so how do I use this thing?

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 17:09:16 UTC 2009

OK, after setting up my centos-ds server in pretty much a default
config, I added a user and then did some playing around with a client.

Here is all I had to do to get the client authenticating :

On the other (client) CentOS box, as root  :

system-config-authentication --enableldap --ldapserver=sandbox1
--ldapbasedn="dc=office,dc=example,dc=com" --update
system-config-authentication --enableldap --enableldapauth --update

Note that "sandbox1" is my centos-ds server.  And my domain is
"office.example.com" though of course my real domain name :-)

This just gives me basic auth - nothing fancy yet.  I have the homedir
in centos-ds set to '/home/alan', and before logging in on the client,
as root I created that dir and set it to 0777.  Now I want to try to
get fancy :-)