[389-users] setting up multi master replication

Alan McKay alan.mckay at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 21:41:28 UTC 2009

Hey folks,

The HOWTO refers to a script that is at the end of a dead link

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:MultiMasterReplication

And the Red Hat docs tell me to do something that causes an error.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/dir-server/8.1/admin/Creating_the_Supplier_Bind_DN_Entry.html

 The final entry should resemble Example 8.1, “Example Supplier Bind DN Entry”.

dn: cn=replication manager,cn=config
objectClass: inetorgperson
objectClass: person
objectClass: top
cn: replication manager
sn: RM
userPassword: password
passwordExpirationTime: 20380119031407Z

[root at sandbox2 ~]# /etc/init.d/dirsrv start
Starting dirsrv:
    sandbox2...[03/Dec/2009:16:31:30 -0500] - Entry "cn=replication
manager,cn=config " has unknown object class "inetorgperson " (remove
the trailing space)
[03/Dec/2009:16:31:30 -0500] - Entry "cn=replication manager,cn=config
" has unknown object class "person " (remove the trailing space)
[03/Dec/2009:16:31:30 -0500] - Entry "cn=replication manager,cn=config
" has unknown object class "top " (remove the trailing space)
                                                           [  OK  ]

And clearly I do not know enough about LDAP at this point to know what
the heck I'm doing here :-)

Both of my servers are set up with custom install but mostly defaults.

Help me Obi-Wan, you are my only hope :-)

BTW, I did order the O'Reilly LDAP book that everyone recommends - it
shipped today.