[Fedora-directory-users] HELP! Lost single Master

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon May 4 15:23:38 UTC 2009

John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 08:28 -0600, Rich Megginson wrote:
>
>> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, everyone.  I did something really stupid.  I accidentally
>>> destroyed our Single Master replica server (that's what I get for
>>> resynching a failed RAID1 drive without realizing the drive device names
>>> had changed because of the failed drive!).  Thankfully we were not yet
>>> in production (although very close and thus using lots of data).
>>> However, because we were not yet in production, it was not backed up.
>>>
>>> I'd like to recover the data from the read only replica.  I'm guessing I
>>> can disable replication on the RO server and it will retain the data but
>>> now with write privileges.  I can then rebuild the master, create a
>>> reverse replication agreement to transfer the data back.  Then I can
>>> break that replication agreement, create a new one in the correct
>>> direction, and reinitialize the supplier.
>>>

>> No, it's not that complicated.  The simplest way would be to just use
>> db2ldif to dump your replica database, then use ldif2db to import it
>> into the master.  Then reinit your replica from the master.
>>
> Phew!
>
>>> However, when I created the replica server, we told it to join an
>>> existing directory server domain.  Is this simply based upon name? In
>>> other words, once I rebuild the main server and configure it using the
>>> same name and address as the original, will the secondary recognize it
>>> as the domain to which it registered or do I really need to destroy all
>>> servers and recreate the entire domain from scratch? Thanks - John
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean.
>>
> When we installed the first server, we told it there was no existing
> directory server instance with which to register.  When we created the
> RO replica server, we told it to register with the existing instance.
>
> How do we handle that now that the original instance has been destroyed?
> What did registering it do? Thanks - John

Ah, ok.  I think you need to run the register-ds-admin.pl command after
you restore the data on the master, and tell it you want the master to
be the configuration directory server.

Then you'll have to run setup-ds-admin.pl -u (or possibly
register-ds-admin.pl) on the replica to register it with the