[Fedora-directory-users] Proposed new features for 1.3

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Mon May 4 16:01:18 UTC 2009

Roberto Polli wrote:
> On venerdì 01 maggio 2009 18:38:21 Rich Megginson wrote:
>
>>> * the ability to set attribute values using  a set of internal functions
>>> (eg. timestamp, incremental log value)
>>>
> sql supports function. eg.
> INSERT INTO mytable VALUES (NOW());
> UPDATE mytable(mydoc, revision) SET revision=revision+1
>
> this enables the ability to use custom attributes for storing timestamp, as
> modifyTimestamp is unmodifiable.

We could do something like this for a very specific and limited set of
attribute values.  The problem with general purpose use is that we have
no "procedural" or "functional" programming language with which to
define functions or operations (e.g. revision=revision+1) in the
directory server (except for C - but I don't think that's what you
mean).  I think the Apache Directory Server project has done some
research into something like stored procs and triggers.

>>> * search in subtrees of view: when I create a view (eg. a view of
>>> domains) I can't search in its subentries (eg. in ou=people, dc=domain)
>>>
> base tree:
> dc=example.com, o=example ltd, dc=top
> dc=example.net, o=example ltd, dc=top
> dc=company.com, o=company ltd, dc=top
>
> using views I can create a tree of all domains, no matter which organization:
> ou=domainView, dc=top
> nsViewFilter: (dc=*)
>
> so under ou=domainView I got all domains
> dc=example.com,ou=domainView
> dc=company.com,ou=domainView
>
> imagine I'd like to search a user under domain example.com
> dn: uid=jondoe,dc=example.com,o=example ltd,dc=top
>
> I could search straight in
> dc=example.com,ou=domainView,dc=top
>
> or pick directly
> uid=jondoe,dc=example.com,ou=domainView,dc=top
>
> but it's not possible.

It's not possible to do a search like
ldapsearch -s sub -b "dc=top" "(uid=jondoe)"
?