[389-users] LDAP to samba password synchronization

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Wed May 13 19:06:47 UTC 2009

Hello, all.  Several hours of googling and testing have not solved my
problem.  We are using Directory Server as our authentication mechanism
for as much as possible in our environment.  So far, we have integrated
all our Linux servers, synchronized with AD, and are using it for
Zimbra.

We have just implemented a standalone SAMBA server and are having
trouble synchronizing passwords.  I see plenty of examples of how to
have changes made using smbpasswd passed to the posix password in LDAP.
But that's not what we want.  We want users (some of whom use SAMBA and
some of whom do not) to have a single place to change their password.
The users are all KDE.  Changing their passwords in the KDE control
module for security changes everything brilliantly EXCEPT SAMBA.

How do we make password changes executed by the users or by the LDAP
admin in idm-console propagate to the SAMBA password attributes? Thanks
- John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation