[389-users] Admin-console doesn't work after upgrade

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Wed Nov 4 14:22:53 UTC 2009

Jens Ådne Rydland wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 03, 2009 at 10:28:19AM -0700, Rich Megginson wrote:
>
>> Jens Ådne Rydland wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, recently our LDAP server (CentOS 5.4) got upgraded, so we no longer
>>> have
>>> the command fedora-idm-console, but instead have gotten 389-console. The
>>> LDAP service it self works flawlessly, but when trying to open the admin
>>> console it fails with
>>>
>>> "netscape.ldap.LDAPException: error result (32); No such object"
>>>
>>> Running "service dirsrv-admin status" returns that the admin server is
>>> running, and running 389-console with -D indicates that the server
>>> indeed replies.
>>>
>>> So, is there some extra configuration needed after upgrading, such as
>>> running setup-ds-admin.pl again?
>>>

>> Yes.  You always have to run setup-ds-admin.pl -u after an upgrade, to
>> refresh the console information.
>> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Install_Guide#Upgrading
>> Note that 389-ds-base 1.2.2 and 389-admin 1.1.8 and earlier have a bug
>> in that they do not update the console information properly.  If you run
>> into this problem, you might consider upgrading to 389-ds-base 1.2.3 and
>> 389-admin 1.1.9 which you can find in the testing repo.
>> http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Release_Notes
>>

> Right. And when I try to run setup-ds-admin.pl -u I'm asked about misc.
> information that I don't have readily available, but most of it is
> auto-filled in, and I guess it stored in some configuration file from
> the previous time the admin-server was set up?

Right.  /etc/dirsrv/admin-serv/adm.conf mostly.  The only information
you must provide is the admin password.  Everything else should be
auto-filled in.
> Seems like no matter what I enter it returns "Error:  No such object" or
> "Error: Invalid credentials". At least the last one I suppose means it
> managed to connect to the LDAP server, but got the wrong admin password
> or something? If it is the wrong password, how can I reset it?
Do you use the console?  What username and password do you use?  I
suppose you could also use the directory manager DN and password for
your configuration directory server (the server that holds the
o=NetscapeRoot information).