[389-users] 389 unusable on F11?

Kevin Bowling kevinb at analograils.com
Fri Sep 11 02:46:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have been running FDS/389 on a F11 xen DomU for several months.  I use
it as the backend for UNIX username/passwords and also for redMine (a
Ruby on Rails bug tracker) for http://www.gnucapplus.org/.

This VM would regularly lock up every week or so when 389 was still
called FDS.  I've since upgraded to 389 by issuing 'yum upgrade' as well
as running the 'setup-...-.pl -u' script and now it barely goes a day
before crashing.  When ldap crashes, the whole box basically becomes
unresponsive.

I left the Xen hardware console open to see what was up and the only
thing I could conclude was that 389 was crashing (if I issued a service
start it came back to life).  Doing anything like a top or ls will
completely kill the box.  Likewise, the logs show nothing at or before
the time of crash.  I suspected too few file descriptors but changing
that to a very high number had no impact.

I was about to do a rip and replace with OpenLDAP which I use very
sucesessfully for our corporate systems but figured I ought to see if
anyone here can help or if I can submit any kind of meaningful bug
report first.  I assume I will need to run 389's slapd without
daemonizing it and hope it spits something useful out to stderr.  Any
advice here would be greatly appreciated, as would any success stories
of using 389 on F11.

I'm not subscribed to the list so please CC.

Regards,

Kevin Bowing