[389-users] 389 unusable on F11?

Noriko Hosoi nhosoi at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 16:43:02 UTC 2009

On 09/10/2009 07:46 PM, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been running FDS/389 on a F11 xen DomU for several months.  I
> use it as the backend for UNIX username/passwords and also for redMine
> (a Ruby on Rails bug tracker) for http://www.gnucapplus.org/.
>
> This VM would regularly lock up every week or so when 389 was still
> called FDS.  I've since upgraded to 389 by issuing 'yum upgrade' as
> well as running the 'setup-...-.pl -u' script and now it barely goes a
> day before crashing.  When ldap crashes, the whole box basically
> becomes unresponsive.
>
> I left the Xen hardware console open to see what was up and the only
> thing I could conclude was that 389 was crashing (if I issued a
> service start it came back to life).  Doing anything like a top or ls
> will completely kill the box.  Likewise, the logs show nothing at or
> before the time of crash.  I suspected too few file descriptors but
> changing that to a very high number had no impact.
>
> I was about to do a rip and replace with OpenLDAP which I use very
> sucesessfully for our corporate systems but figured I ought to see if
> anyone here can help or if I can submit any kind of meaningful bug
> report first.  I assume I will need to run 389's slapd without
> daemonizing it and hope it spits something useful out to stderr.  Any
> advice here would be greatly appreciated, as would any success stories
> of using 389 on F11.
Hello Kevin,

You specified the platform "F11 xen DomU".  Did you have a chance to run
the 389 server on any other platforms?  I'm wondering if the crash is
observed only on the specific platform or not.  Is the server running on
the 64-bit machine or 32-bit?

If you start the server with "-d 1" option, the server will run as the
trace mode.  (E.g., /usr/lib[64]/dirsrv/slapd-YOURID/start-slapd -d 1)

I'm afraid it might be a memory leak.  When you restart the 389 server,
could you check the size of ns-slapd some time like every hour and see
if the server size keeps growing or stops?  Also, the server quits if it
fails to write to the errors log.  If it happens, it's logged in the
system log.  Does the messages file on the system  happen to have some
logs related to the 389 server?

Thanks,
--noriko