[389-users] Migrating a Directory Server from 389-ds to FreeIPA

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Sep 24 13:50:14 UTC 2009

Michael Kang wrote:
> Dear Fedora Directory community,
>
> I'm help my PL migrating Fedora directory server(storing employees
> info and Linux user accounts) from 389-ds(1.1.x) to FreeIPA(1.2.2). I
> backed up from the command line using the */db2bak/* command-line
> script. I got two LDIF files and two folders(userRoot and
> NetscapeRoot) which contains many db4 files.
db2bak does not produce LDIF files - db2ldif does

> After reading the FreeIPA Administrator Guide, I realized there is no
> */db2bak/* or */bak2db/* commands for FreeIPA users.
They are still there, but you probably don't want to use them.  You will
have to use db2ldif to export to LDIF, then migrate the LDIF data to the
format that IPA expects.
> So I copy those LDIF files and folders to /var/lib/dirsrv/<ds
> instance> directly.
Nope, that will not work.
> Then I run */service dirsvr restart/*, the dirsvr instance cannot
> start anymore. The instance names of 389-ds and FreeIPA are different.
>
> So I want to learn more about 389-ds server. I run */yum install
> 389-ds/* in Fedora 9 i386. I got message: No package 389-ds available.
> My system is already updated. What's the new name of the 389-ds package?
Fedora 9 is end of life.  There are no 389 binaries for Fedora 9.  I
suggest upgrading to Fedora 10 or 11.