[389-users] Setting up a 389 Server on my Organization?

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Tue Jan 5 18:06:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-05 at 12:27 +0530, Ajeet S Raina wrote:

> Hello Guys,
>
> I am going to setup a 389 Server for my organization. I have nothing
> to do with Active Directory Server as I don't to be under the Windows
> Sysadmin shoes.
> We are Infrastructure Team of around 30 Linux and Unix Sysadmins.All I
> want to know is what organization structure I need to follow.I have
> been assigned with preparing mid-level plan for the setting up of 389
> Directory Server(without ADS stuffs).
> Do you have any slides/ links discussing quick look at the 389 Server
> structure and architecture from Start.
<snip>
It has been my experience that setting up 389 was the easy part.  The
hard part was doing what you have asked.  In other words, before setting
up the directory, we needed to understand how the directory would be
used and what needed to be stored.  Those are fundamentally business
process questions and not technology questions and would be answered by
looking into your business process.  Once that has been answered in
business process terms, then one can translate that into a tree layout
and object types.  Of course, I may have misunderstood what you are
asking :-)  Good luck - John