docs translation

Luiz Rocha lsdr at lsdr.net
Tue Sep 30 04:56:47 UTC 2003

> 1. CVS location -- separate or in the same module as the original version

  I think both would work. Is an organization matter. Once we get any of the
going, will be fine.

  I checked out the fedora-docs tree and I think that something like

  common/
  css/
  en/
  fr/
  pt-br/
  xsl/

  would be okay. But this is my opinion only. How exactly this is done in RH?

> 2. Method -- there are tools to convert from XML to PO and back to XML --
> probably the best choice

  Is the XML to PO back to XML dance really necessary?

  I mean, this may be functional for short, interface translations, but for
long, descritive documents, I don't know.

  Personaly, I rather have a CVS diff with the changes in a document and grok
the XML directly. I like having the full doc I'm translating in front of me.
But that's just me, I could do the XML/PO dance, no problem.

  I will look for some tools to do it.

> 3. Process for alert translators of new and changed content

  I think the best way is to always post in the fedora-docs list any changes
made in any document. Translators them should update the translated versions.
Each translation initiative should have someone responsable for it.

  In the apache-docs list, they had someone mailing every week a status of the
project, listing which docs required revision/enhancements e etc... We could
do something like that, including files that need translation and
translations that require revision/update.

--
Luiz Rocha <lsdr at lsdr.net>