Emacs/psgml problem

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Aug 15 17:23:07 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 09:54, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> I've been using the same setup since I first started doing FDP stuff; I
> added the code listed in the Doc Guide to my .emacs file, and haven't
> changed it. rpm -V psgml looks fine.
>
> I think after having battled it for a little while that it's related to
> doing this:
>   <xref linkend="target"/>
> instead of:
>   <xref linkend="target"></xref>
>
> Exiting Emacs and restarting it seems to "fix" the problem. It only
> happens using <filename> after <xref/> tags. I'm confused but I'm not
> sure how to Bugzilla the problem since it could be the Big OE (Operator
> Error).

I was first going to ask if you had a stuck Ctrl key on your keyboard.
:)

Mark may lend more enlightenment here, but I'm wondering if the problem
is that PSGML is written to work in a valid SGML environment, where < />
isn't legal.  Even though it's presumably validated against the DTD (C-c
C-p), it might still be hardwired to do something different.

Restarting Emacs might just be revalidating against the XML DTD and that
works fine, but later PSGML "forgets" and falls back on some hardwired
expectation?

FWIW, in SGML I have never had a problem with an unclosed <xref>.  I've
always written it as just plain <xref linkend="target"> without a
</xref>.  Of course, this is not legal in XML, so you have to include
it.

Another thing you might try (being a self-professed newbie who seems to
be doing quite well anyway) is Mark's PSGMLX package:
http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/psgmlx .  It will validate against the XML
DTD properly, afaict.  Just don't find any bugs in it, Mark doesn't have
any time to fix them. :)

Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer
a lemon is just a melon in disguise
http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
gpg fingerprint: 2680 DBFD D968 3141 0115  5F1B D992 0E06 AD0E 0C41